Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Livi's Chicken Salad

There are two very special little people, that I am lucky enough to spend two days a week with. Back in, I think October, I was looking for one more "little" job to fill my time, and maybe give me a little extra spending money. With my fiance's schedule, it's smart to have things that keep me busy. Thanks to the wonderful world of Facebook, an old friend of mine and I were able to connect, and she asked if I wanted to watch over her babies on a regular basis. The rest is history, and I am now Fran Fine Mary Poppins a nanny. When this started, Anthony asked me what the difference was between a nanny and a babysitter. Well, I guess because we have a set schedule, and I'm not 13, I'm a nanny...?

Let me tell you guys, it has become so much more than a "job."  I am so beyond crazy for these two little people. Besides our wedding, my Mondays and Wednesdays, with Olivia and Grant are what I look forward to more than anything. It's ok- their mom, Laura, knows how much I adore them, and thank goodness doesn't think I'm a weirdo. People have asked me if this makes me want to wait until we have children, because while fulfilling and so much fun, it can be tiring. The answer, is honestly, it makes me want them sooner. Anthony is wincing right now. He and I will figure all of that out, but this 5 year old boy, and 1 year old girl have opened a place in my heart, that I didn't even know was there. I think this is how most people feel when they get a pet. Never took for me. But babies? Well, at least I know I'm not completely heartless.

Olivia celebrated her first birthday last month! And girlfriend is walking all over the place, and talking to us all of the time. It's amazing how fast they change. Her wonderful parents had a lovely party for her, and we were lucky enough to be a part of her big day. Laura- who I could stay and chit chat with all day if the kids allowed, has given me some great recipe ideas. She shares things that are easy, and make great leftovers. I know about the leftovers, because I eat pretty much everything in their fridge. One of my recent favorites, was the main dish at Olivia's party. Chicken Salad Sandwiches. A favorite anyway, but once Anthony actually took it upon himself to mention it, and asked me to get the recipe, I knew we had found a great staple for at our house. And a staple this has become. It's the easiest thing to make, and gets better the longer it sits. (Within reason, obvi)

Ok, so really it's Laura's recipe. Olivia didn't come up with it on her own, or even make it for that matter, but it does remind me of her special day.

1 Rotisserie Chicken, Shredded
Handful of Cherry Flavored Dried Cranberries
1 Fuji Apple, diced
Chives
(Combine all in a bowl. Chicken absorbs the dressing (to follow) better, if warm.)

Dressing
1/2 cup Mayo (I used the kind with Olive Oil in it. Haven't tried it with yogurt yet, but probably doable)
S&P to taste
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
Juice of one lemon

Mix it all up, and chill for about an hour. 
Customize it to your liking

We have had this twice now for dinner- served once with corn on the cob, and another with macaroni and cheese. Both times- awesome! I love to use this as a dip for pita chips, too, usually for lunch. 

I have to give a shout out to Grant, since he just celebrated a birthday! I have learned more about Bruder trucks than I ever thought possible, and was able to actually pick one out, with a little help from his Mama. Since we're talking gifts, I have to mention http://www.mybambino.com/. Olivia and Grant each got a sweet keepsake from here, and with all of the other babies and kids in my life, I will be shopping for more. The My Bambino company doesn't even know that I exist, it's just a nice idea, and thought I should share. If you're around my age, and reading this, you know what I mean when I say there are lots of special little people to shop for in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment